My Reading Habits and how they have changed over the years - Discuss & Wonder #3

Hello and welcome to another discussion post! Today, I decided to talk to you about
I've been thinking about this particular topic a lot lately. Especially after realizing that, over the past couple of years, not only did my reading habits change drastically, but also that, the way I deal with reading in general was affected as well. If you want to find out what exactly I mean by that, keep on reading!

And make sure to leave your comments below, telling me if and how your reading habits have changed throughout the years.

Let's start with a walk down memory lane. I became an avid reader a long time ago. At first, I was into anything that I could get my hands on and because I wasn't such a fluent English speaker, my options were very limited. Back then, they only translated very few books in Greek so, I just picked up whatever I could find.

*Reading whatever I came across without being truly interested*

Because of the fact that, I didn't have anything to compare those books with, I ended up loving all of them. They were just, a lot of fun to read, I guess. Plus, they helped me escape and that's what really mattered. You could say that, I wasn't the most social person and I always preferred the company of a book over the company of anyone else. Still do, if you ask me but, back then it was very different. 

Needless to say that, if I went back and read all those books again,  I would probably hate half of them. Maybe even more. I realize now that, as a reader, I can dislike books that other people loved and I can love books that other people hated. I have always respected other peoples' opinions, that might or might not clash with mine so, I've learned to expect the same in return. Not just because I always try to be positive but also because people who express their opinions in a very disrespectful, rude and cruel way - concerning books or anything else,really - aren't really worth my time. I always strive for civilized and polite conversations.

*Reading whatever other people read, and saying - or rather thinking - that I loved it just because they did.*

I wanted to bring that up because, in the past, I felt pressured to read and love what everyone else was reading or loving at the time. Was it because I wanted to fit in? Probably. Was it because I didn't know how to choose what I personally wanted to read? That could be it as well. The point is that I've learned a lot of important lessons since then. I stopped purchasing books because people raved about them, if I - as Elena, as a reader, as a person, as myself - had no interest in them. If a book doesn't intrigue me, I'm not going to buy it nor read it.

*It's okay to DNF a book if you aren't enjoying it and eventually, find a new home for it.*

Another thing I want to discuss is, the fact that I used to struggle through books I wasn't necessarily enjoying, just to reach the ending. But I have come to realize through the years and personal experience that, what matters isn't the ending. It's the journey itself. It's okay to put a book down if you aren't enjoying it and it's okay to share that experience with people. And I'm definitely in favor of also sharing why a book didn't work out for me, or why I didn't enjoy it. That matters a lot, especially when you choose to share those thoughts with other people. Always be honest, even if sometimes, honesty can be misinterpreted as something else.

*Always be honest! With your self and with other people. Because those who are truly worth it, will appreciate your honesty.*

Moving on to review books. When I started blogging, I used to request whatever book I came across. That's not very accurate actually, it makes me sound really bad but, the truth is that I was overly excited. I didn't know how to manage my reading time and whether a book was worth requesting or not. Thankfully, I've gotten a lot better at that. I always ask myself whether I'm truly interested in a book before I request it. If I have my doubts about it, or if I don't think that I'll be able to finish in time, I stay away.

Last by not least, in the past I only read fantasy books. I stayed away from contemporary books or anything that had to do with a realistic setting that didn't involve any sense of the supernatural, to put it that way.

*I was so sure that I would never be interested in reading anything that had to do with reality since, I already lived in it*

That doesn't make any sense but I tried explaining it as best as I could. Nowadays, I read whatever interests and intrigues me, might it be historical fiction, contemporary, fantasy. It doesn't really matter. I will not make myself finish books anymore just to say that I finished them. If I am not able to get through a book, for whatever reason, I will stop. I might pick it up again, sometime in the future, especially if I put it down just because I wasn't in the mood for it. That's how I choose what book I want to read next. Based on my mood and what I feel like reading. Which is why I usually never stick to TBRs and such.

What is more, I stick to one physical book and one e-book at a time. I usually transfer e-books - usually review books because I genuinely prefer physical books - on my phone and read on the way from one place to another. When I'm at home, I just stick to my trusted paperbacks. It works for me perfectly! I used to read so many books at the same time and it came to a point where, I stopped reading all together. Everything got so overwhelming because I was trying to do so many things at the same time.

*Try to focus on one thing at a time. Multitasking can be productive at the beginning but, you'll find yourself overwhelmed by it and frankly, quite exhausted.*

To end this post, I just want to encourage you, fellow readers, to read whatever your heart tells you to. It doesn't have to be educational - I've had people tell me that the crap I read won't get me anywhere in life - you just have to sincerely enjoy it. And yes, I've learnt more from reading than I possibly ever could from anything else. And if someone tries to put you down for doing something you love, don't hesitate to give them a piece of your mind. What have kick-ass, brave, true to themselves heroines - and heroes - taught as after all? To stand our ground and never let anyone give us any crap about the things we believe in!

That was quite a long post but this is the purpose of these discussions. Me putting my thoughts here and sharing them with you. And you getting a glimpse into the labyrinth that is my mind!

Until next time,


Comments

  1. The more you read, the more your tastes adjust and grow. It's fun to look back at your reading history and think about what's changed!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back is very interesting and really makes you grow as a reader! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!